- AR500 Steel Targets | Best Quality, Unbeatable Price
AR500 Steel Facts
AR500 steel targets are the pinnacle of shooting sports for all types of gun enthusiast!
People are shooting a variety of steel targets now more than ever. An unprecedented number of categories such as competitive shooters, military/law enforcement, long range rifle, and recreational shooters have transitioned to using AR500 steel targets because of its many advantages, some of which we've highlighted below:
Quality and SafetyTo be functional and safe to shoot, steel targets need to be made of high quality, hardened steel that has a Brinell hardness number of at least 500. The steel must provide sufficient strength, toughness and impact resistance. The Brinell test is accepted as a worldwide standard for measuring the hardness of steel. All of the targets manufactured by Blue Steel Targets undergo rigorous testing and are constructed using AR500 steel that meets or exceeds the Brinell test standard.
Steel Hardness and StrengthThere are two major factors that affect the hardness of steel and these factors are determined at the most fundamental level. The first is the amount of carbon and alloy elements in the steel's chemical composition. The second, is the manner in which the heating and cooling of the steel is manipulated. AR500 steel is ideal because it is “through” hardened, NOT surface hardened, giving it superior strength for bullet impact.
Smooth Steel SurfaceOnly a smooth target surface will generate predictable bullet splatter patterns. This is a critical element to remember when choosing a steel target or when in the act of target shooting using steel. Steel hardness is critical, if NOT using sufficiently hard, abrasion resistant steel like AR500, you can create divots, rough surfaces, craters and other deformations that will put the shooter at significant risk of getting hit by bullet fragments.
More AR500 AdvantagesThe popularity of AR500 targets and body armor is gaining headway every day. Although AR500 steel can be heavy and is more expensive than other target materials, it offers many more advantages:
- DURABILITY - One of the biggest advantages is durability. Steel targets made with quality AR500 steel will last for thousands of rounds if used at the proper distance, delivering target longevity that is second-to-none and years of shooting fun.
- FEEDBACK - AR500 steel targets produce audible and visual feedback. When a bullet strikes steel, it rings and the target moves or swings giving you instant feedback. This builds confidence and eye/hand coordination.
- NO TARGET CHANGE OUT - Use of AR500 steel targets eliminates the frequency and hassel of target change out.
- NO GARBAGE - environmentally friendly as there is no paper or garbage to pick up after shooting outdoors.
Steel Target Tips
When shooting steel or buying AR500 targets remember some key elements like, the steel targets you use should always either hang or move in some way to help take away the bullets energy.
Another important factor that we implement in our targets is forward lean - AR500 targets that lean forward 10 to 20 degrees will ensure that bullet fragments will hit the ground.
And of course make sure your targets are made of high quality AR500 “Abrasion Resistant” steel for safety and longevity.Choose quality, safe and intelligently crafted AR500 steel targets from www.bluesteeltargets.com.